How can it be that children today have so much 'stuff' to entertain them, yet they are always so bored? In fact I think that's the answer - they have too much 'stuff', I didn't have 'stuff' and I wasn't bored...I wonder what the next generation of children will do during school holidays? Will our children be telling their own "I didn't have half the amount of stuff you had as a child and I didn't complain?".
Our school holiday plans tend to revolve strongly around nature, the local national trust forest, the beach and the local botanical garden and the fantastic free museums in Cambridge (the zoology one gets a big thumbs up from us).
So, ever conscious of finances, when the chaps at Chewits asked me if we'd be interested in posting their half term graphic I thought it sounded interesting, I'm all up for new ideas, especially if they save money and the kids were convinced when the offer also came with some free chewie gum to review too.
Now, I may be old fashioned but I've really put off letting my kids have chewing gum, I don't know why, mostly paranoia over them swallowing it accidentally and concern that I would find it stuck all over the house, but they have been begging me to try some for ages. Oddly I found THIS article which claims that chewing gum is good for the brain (it is in the Daily Fail though!). Anyway, I relented and Chewits kindly sent the kids some of their new Chewie gum to review, the gum comes in 3 flavours - lemon, tropical and strawberry and banana. The kids loved the tropical, weren't at all keen on the lemon and were 50/50 split on the strawberry and banana, but all agreed that it would have been better if it were just strawberry flavoured. They seemed to have great fun and importantly nobody swallowed any! Another plus is that I have yet to find any stuck to the walls/under tables or headboard, I'm not quite sure where they have put it though, it's rare that they put anything in the bin so I'm still more than a little concerned........
Anyway, chewie gum gets a thumbs up in our house, but the kids would much prefer a plain strawberry flavour please chewits!
The lovely people at Chewits have given me a Hamper worth £30, bursting with Chewits goodies to give away to you!
To enter please leave your name in reply and I'll randomly pick a winner on the 8th of June. Please note entry implies that you agree with the terms and conditions below:
- All entrants must be over 18 years of age
- Entry to the competition is restricted to one entry per person, multiple entries will be disqualified as will automated entries, bulk or third party entries.
- Competitions are open to UK and ROI residents only and the prize can only be sent to a valid UK or ROI address.
- Only entries received by the closing date of Sunday June 9th will be submitted to the competition.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
- The winner will be contacted via email and their name will be posted here on Monday 10th June.
- There is no cash alternative.
- In compliance with the data protection act. Gluten Free Child will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.